*disclaimer*

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The call

Life is calling... It isn't calling very loudly, so you must be alert and listen for it. One must also be patient as life may call, but it will also put you on hold. I first heard the ring about a year ago. College graduation was still far away, but graduate applications were oh so close. I never had a doubt that I would attend graduate school and one day become a psychologist. It just always seemed so far away. Well, the application time line approached rapidly.  Before I knew it, it was time to make a decision- apply to graduate school or figure out something else. If something doesn’t feel right, I usually don’t do it. While I know graduate school is something I want to do, I just couldn’t apply. Not yet.

I have found something to do with my time that will make a difference. Instead of working to feed the consumerist society we live in, I decided to remove myself from it to devote at least 27 months of my life to meaningful service. What better way to do that than through Peace Corps. Although 27 months may seem like a long time, it is but a minuscule blip in the scope of the universe and time itself. Next month will mark the 27th anniversary of my birth. For 27 years my entire focus has been on myself.  I am grateful for the opportunity to take a break from my egocentric life and focus my attention on the betterment of others. I hope to be nominated as a Secondary English Teacher, somewhere. That's part of the fun- not knowing where you will serve.

First lesson learned- Be Patient. The Peace Corps application process is quite laborious. I'm sure it is designed to weed out those who are not serious about service, but if you are passionate about giving up your privileged American life to for at least 27 months to do some meaningful work, learn patience.  More on the process later.





No comments:

Post a Comment